One of the outstanding things about the ACS Career
consultants program is the wisdom of training
programs that keep us informed and updated on
trends. This happened last weekend in Ft. Worth.
The first nuggets of golden information was on
Federal government employment. B. Bohnet of
calltoserve.org told about the “government
tsunami” that is about the strike as mission critical
occupation holders leave federal employment
HOW TO FIND POSITIONS
There is an art to searching for positions in government
service. L. Roberson (NASA) reinforced the notion
to (1) initiate your search with broad terms, like physical
scientist or biological scientist, and narrow terms down.
(2) Develop a strategy, learn from others’ approaches and
(3) save your search terms for re-use.
(4) Plan to search weekly. Announcements come out weekly
submission windows close on Fridays.
(5) Continuously learn in this process. There are noteworthy
webinars and presentations in specific cities and websites.
(1) Applications are rated on a point system. Top point
getters get the interviews for positions.
(2) Note several classes of people receive special points–
disabled, vets, peace corp,
(3) Input offered was to use the keywords given in the
job description. The exact keywords.
(4) Organize your resumes so that you have a master resume
and targeted resumes for different positions and save them.
Check back regularly.
Future posts will provide more information about this