Does it happen many times to you,
as it has for me? Forget someone’s name.
There are procedural aids that commonly
help us, like
- introducing yourself, ‘hello, my
name is ….’ then giving time for h(er)im
to provide their name.
- using their name several times in the
next part of your conversation
- writing the name down on a handy
- associating a unique characteristic
with the person
- entering the new name into Outlook,
your phone or your blackberry
An interesting tip came today about a
person who did a sales call. He learned
to jot down peoples’ names and the
type/color of shirt/top they wore at a
meeting. Then, use that knowledge in
addressing responses to their questions,
requests for questions or business
information or ending the conversation.
Using a person’s name is one of those
tips in developing good small talk habits
that benefit professionals everywhere.