The panel consisted of Dr. Valerie Petit Wilson
(Brown), Dr. Wilton Virgo (Wellesley), Dr.
Dorothy Phillips (Waters), Dr. John McKew
(Wyeth) and Dr. Rebecca Carrier (Northeastern).
Concluding statements contained the following
- embrace the world as the stage where
you play a role, collaborate and contribute
(global reach of chemistry)
- careers will not have their scripts written
for them, they will be different from the past
(mobility of chemists to contribute in different
- successful careers will involve reinventing
yourselves. You have a choice to be forced
to change or want to change into new areas
(chemistry careers will be more “organic”)
- some times to move forward will require
you to move sideways.
(marketability for chemists will require
development and experience in relevant skill
- do not fear to try new things, explore different
paths (chemists should be empowered to
find new areas to apply themselves)