Reality came out in the responses from last Friday’s
panelists in response to the question from an audience
Question: My spouse and I will be looking for
positions at the same time. What thoughts and
recommendations do you have?
Responses (without attribution):
- there are still a number of couples who need to
reside and work in different locations.
- develop multiple options short term and mid-term
for yourselves to consider and weigh the pros and
- explore how other couples have pursued their
- some universities try to make it possible to hire
both, if compelling cases can be made for each person
- it is possibly easier to have both persons employed
in larger employment centers (cities, regions) where
there are more positions and institutions.
- it might be easier if both persons sought positions
in different sectors or industries
- it might be too much stress to have both persons
working in the same department for the same
boss.(do not work in same department)
- it is common that assistance is provided for the
spouse of someone who has been recently hired.