The NESACS Blog
From the Northeastern Section of the ACS, focusing on career management and development
Categories:

Archives:
Meta:
November 2019
S M T W T F S
« Sep    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
01/07/08
Job Offer. Temp job vs. possible permanent job
Filed under: Recent Posts, Interviewing, Position Searching, Job Offer (Situations)
Posted by: site admin @ 3:22 pm

Situation:  Unemployed MS Chemist with
strong hands on skills in analytical and
inorganic areas seeks position in industry

Has been in market for six months with several
recent interviews.  Was downsized in a move
to reduce costs and potentially outsource
his function.

The following is paraphrased from a telephone
conversation. 

PW:  Hi Dan.  Got some good news to
share and a bit of a problem to ask for your
advice on.

Dan:  Be glad to help, PW.

PW:  The interview with W resulted in an offer
this morning for a second shift position in a
chemical manufacturing operation.  It is quite
attractive but ….

Dan:  What do you like about it?

PW:  It starts Monday (It’s Thursday now.)
and they want me to come in tomorrow.  It
has a nice salary and benefits package, but
it is temporary leading to a permanent position.

Dan:  Is it the only problem that it is a temp
role, or that it is B shift?

PW:  No, it is just that I have not gotten a
formal up or down signal from T that I interviewed
in December.  That seemed like a unique
opportunity for me to grow into as well.

What should I do?  Should I go in tomorrow?
What should I say to the other company?

Other information in the conversation:
- no formal written offer yet from W
- only oral offer, with solid pay and benefits
- B shift offers better commute and being able
   to spend time with young family benefits
- challenge of learning new and useful skills with
   W
- a second firm’s interview went well, yet they
   are taking longer to make their decision.

3 Responses to “Job Offer. Temp job vs. possible permanent job”

  1. site admin Says:


    PW had landed a nice offer with a strong
    firm.

    However, he had at least one outstanding
    situation that was unresolved and wanted
    to sort out whether he should ask the
    offering company to wait till he hears from
    the first company or try to urge the slower
    responding company to make a decision.


    Our conversation continued by indicating
    that PW needed to continue in good faith
    with the offering company since it was still
    a verbal offer. He needed to satisfy all
    inquiries to obtain a written offer.

    PW indicated that he had followed up with
    appropriate thank you notes and they had
    met their decision time-line.

    So, his next action would be to comply
    with their request to return for a company visit.
  2. site admin Says:


    After our nice conversation, I have thought about what

    might be helpful for you. Consider creating a job
    comparison table that compares as many features
    and differences between the positions.
    Then think about the importance of each item on a
    1 - 10 scale.
    With the data that you have for each position, even
    if you only have one offer, estimate what
    would be a better offer. You might be able to develop a
    decision framework for yourself even without having
    a second offer in hand.

    A starting list to consider (Look at the Job Assessor tool
    in the TOOLS List):
                                              Company 1    Company 2
    WORKING HOURS
    COMMUTE (TIME/DISTANCE)
    SIDE BENEFITS

    SALARY

    STARTING DATE

    MEDICAL INS
    COVERAGE COSTS
    DENTAL INS

    CHALLENGE

    GROWTH POTENTIAL

    STABILITY

    CULTURE
      CO_WORKERS
      PROFESSIONALISM
      CONTINUOUS ED
  3. site admin Says:


    Hello Dan,

    I have accepted the W job, I start tomorrow.

    It did not appear that I would be in any sort
    of jeopardy if the other firm shows up with an
    offer and I abandon W. This would need to be
    handled professionally, is all.

    Work hard and smart from day 1. Let them
    know about a competing offer, if it comes in.
    Show them that I am a good hire.

    After speaking with a number of people,
    I am satisfied with some conclusions:
    - I need to get working again,
    - this is a nice paying job for a good company and
    - I will add significant skills and experience to my
    skill set.
    - The second shift assignment will allow me to
    smartly seek a new position if the temp to
    permanent position does not progress as quickly
    as I hope.

    So, thank you Dan, for your help in crafting my
    resume, for your suggestions on different
    approaches to this employment problem
    and for being there to talk to.

    Let’s stay in touch. PW

Leave a Reply