Job Searching while still working is a risk and
is hard to do without taking precautions.
Nonetheless, one of the common things that
is said that it is easier to find a job if you
are working. It seems just counter-intuitive.
There was a colleague sometime ago who
requested suggestions on doing such a search.
I am sorry, I might not have done as good a
job helping her then. I’ve learned some things
especially in Dana Matioli’s recent article.
Dana lists the following precautions:
- on-line job boards “block” or “privacy” features
- “bio-confidentiality” features
- only apply to companies who give their name to
an ad or posting
- wearing ‘interview clothes’ to your normal job
- don’t search or interview or correspond while at
- don’t use your employer’s facilities to create
your public relations documents
Now, all of this is “turned off” if your company is
downsizing or going bankrupt or your boss gives
you specific permission to pursue other avenues.
That can happen.