One of my critical findings about IDPs Academic inspired
Individual Development Plans is it completely “whiffs” on
I fear that if you ‘fill out the forms’ for IDP you miss nearly
half of the skills many employers desire in applicants.
intelligence is revealed. It is not about using big words and
offering elaborate details about technical concerns.
1. asking questions of yourself, like
how does my mood affect my behaviors, thinking and
what subsurface influences affect me and others?
to uncover self and social awareness.
2. how do you control your reaction to things that affect
your emotions. You have little to manage your emotional
take on things, but how you react can reveal your character.
3. Do you say what you mean and mean what you say?
4. Empathy for others; not meaning agreeing with others
but trying to understand others.
5. Do you intentionally commend and show appreciation
6. Do you keep your commitments and help others?
conversely, do you apologize for short-fulfilling commitments
and even guard yourself from being taken advantage of
by being manipulated?