A recent seminar on Overcoming Fears Uncertainty and
Doubts pointed out things you should learn to do while
in graduate school. Two leading ones the group pointed
knowing how to speak with your boss
knowing how to have difficult conversations with people.
These are no doubt situational things and depend on several
factors. That is part of the learning that we need to do. It is
important to develop this understanding while in graduate school.
our conversation about how to speak to a boss
- for a raise and at review time
- after making a mistake
- challenges at home
- have a major health issue
Flipboard shared a creditable piece about having hard conversations
- begin with a perspective of respect and curiosity
- avoiding conversations does not make problems go away
- listen intently, respond with the other’s ideas first, and avoid
partial listening while planning to say what is on our mind
- recognize cultural differences and determine how to be
direct (clear statements, not circular logic).