At the undergraduate seminar at Niagara last week the MUD cards
revealed a dozen questions. Ok the group is composed of
undergraduates and that means– take each question seriously
and ask for follow up questions for clarification from them.
One of the questions: Can people network in a negative way?
It is very common and necessary that we network using Internet
tools. We always advise people to plan, monitor and update their
Internet presence. Be mindful of how you are represented
or how your name, whether it is you or “another Jane Doe,”
on the Internet– in words, photos, opinions, or orally, shows up.
Besides this, generally, most approaches to connect and share
in a network can be misused by involving:.
- poor, un-professional image(s) or the wrong take(s) on an image
- the wrong set of people
- the giving or taking of bad information or advice
- taking too much time or not enough time.
- deleteriously affecting one’s physical, mental or emotional health
- uncontrolled spreading of personal or proprietary information
- preventing you from being with, working with or meeting the
See also the blog on social networking negative effects.