Certainly, one can look at written literature
in various media to help you. Talking to
various people like counselors
and friends, can provide direction and
questions to ask.
Information interviews with people in
roles is possibly more realistic.
Taking opportunities to intern or take part
time positions gets more insight since
you can have direct impact of what
people really do.
When one is less certain a current approach
imvolves taking and evaluating various
- compare online career assessments- understand the limitations of free online
- take several different assessments to
learn and determine which tests provide
the most reliable results for you.
- trust your intuition. If an assessment
tells you something that doesn’t ring
true, disregard the information
- share the results you’ve obtained
from online assessments with other
assessments a counselor might
Ask the counselor to help you integrate
the results of various assessments.
- use self-discovery activities, such
as examining your strengths and
weaknesses and the activities you
most enjoy and least enjoy.
See also a good discussion by K. Hansen.